Sunday, January 25, 2009

91 Cats Fixed Today

It's a boy! This calico turned out to be a boy! The first full fledged male calico I have ever seen in my life. An oddity? Yes it was.


The clinic went off without a hitch. 91 cats were fixed! Again, the majority were from Linn County. I took 8, trapped at the Albany colony, and the couple trapped a ninth during the day today, who will be fixed tomorrow, and there are at least three more needing trapped there.

Of the 8, seven were males.

Guess who one of those big males I took in was? His coloration sparked the flash of many cameras and oooooh's and awwww's. He was a big calico. I have never seen the like!

In other news, Leah, the tech, told me an orange tabby male, under a year old, was brought in to a Portland clinic, trapped in a north Portland feral colony, with a bright green NS in his left ear. That means he was fixed at a Neuterscooter clinic. He was tame and did not belong in a feral colony, so some group present at the clinic took him in to adopt out.

How did he get into a North Portland feral colony and where did he come from, since the Neuterscooter does not hold Portland clinics and he was not originally part of this colony?

He had to have been adopted out, then abandoned. I will check my records but I can't think right off of an orange tabby kitten I've adopted out, fixed at the Neuterscooter, in the last six months. Could have been a KATA cat. They adopt out cats in the Portland area although I don't believe they adopt anymore in the Vancouver Petco. But they have gotten a lot of cats fixed at the Neuterscooter. It could have been someone who lived in an area where the Neuterscooter had a clinic, then they moved to Portland and abandoned the cat or he got lost. But I will go through records.

Anyhow, I'm dog tired and in rather severe pain from too much physical labor. This morning, I got recruited suddenly into check in. It was freezing and by the time we were done, I couldn't feel my legs.

A man who brought in cats took pity on us freezing volunteers and came back with cups of hot chocolate, bought at Dutch Brothers. Afterwards, we referred to him as Mr. Hot Chocolate. That was very thoughtful!

It was good to see all the diehards again. They all come to these clinics, the real cat people I call them. After all these years and thousands of cats, we're still at it and we're a quirky fun loving dedicated lot.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a very tiring, yet fulfiling, day. A male calico - imagine! Ripley's believe it or not - anyone???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very interesting, and almost disturbing, to see a male dressed up in calico! It was almost like he was dressed up in a costume and I wanted to say "Take off that woman's dress right now." I wanted to see what he was underneath. I figured him for a brown tabby tux underneath. It's like he's in a disguise or something. HIs coloration cuts to the core of stereotypic thinking. I was also rather disappointed in some of the cat people present who were determined I should sell him to researchers. I told them, "in the first place, he isn't valuable and nobody would want to buy him. In the second place, for gosh sakes, we're here to save cats not make money selling their dead bodies." I almost felt I should rush him away and hide him, so he can just live his life.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...