Saturday, December 20, 2008

Smoothy Gets a Home

I stopped in at SafeHaven to see the boys. They were overjoyed to see me. Just as I was there, playing with Twitter a family came in and adopted Smoothy. They were very nice people. I was concerned about a young girl interested in adopting Twitter for a present for her boyfriend. Mr. Boyfriend has a roommate with an unfixed adult cat. Mr. Boyfriend abandoned his own unfixed female at his parents when he took off for several months. Boyfriend's parents never got her fixed and "got rid of her", according to girlfriend, when she started pooping on the side of the litterbox.

This isn't anybody that would probably ever even take a cat to a vet again. I am hoping SafeHaven's adoption screening will keep Twitter safe from such people. Well, if she isn't screened, maybe he'll change and start being a responsible person, get his roommate's cat fixed, keep Twitter flea and worm free. People change. One can always hope.

But if Mr. Boyfriend really loved cats, like Girlfriend seems to think, he would go find his cat he left with his folks, wherever she ended up, get her to the vet, get her fixed and take care of whatever health or stress issues she had, that caused her litter box trouble. So many people treat animals as disposable, if they're not perfect, trash them. Or if they develop a health or emotional issue, often caused by owner, they trash them then, too.

I had stopped by also because I saw the skinny calico at Calico Triangles that Safehaven's Christiana told me about. She looked in horrible shape, saw her as I was driving on 34. She was on the north side of 34, by the on ramp west, from 99E south.

I went back with a trap but she's vanished again. Huge area. But she looked on the brink of starvation. I saw the black tux who roams that area, too. I hate people sometimes. I can't take in all these cats in horrible dire straits. I don't have any success anymore adopting any of them out. So the only way I can help cats is if some other group with adoption venues and money can take them in afterwards. I can't bear all the expenses of getting them vaccinated, tested, and treated for parasites either, then hand them over to another group, who adopts them out and gets the adoption fee.

There is no win for me anymore. I have been abandoned here, by the other cat groups, who still want to feed on me, to have me solve situations, but offer me no help whatsoever in return. I cannot compete with their nonprofit status for adoption venues and donations.

My mission has always been primarily spay/neuter, but to accomplish such a mission, one runs into horrible situations, and without backup, from other groups whose primary mission is adoption, to take in adoptable cats, pay the costs too, of vaccinations etc, I only struggle here, unsupported.

I need to stop. I want to help that starving calico, but I can't, because I have too many here and I am not getting any adoptions. If someone else wants to take that cat in, I will certainly try to trap her.

SafeHaven adopted out almost a dozen cats just today, a volunteer there told me. I sit here, not a call, not a hit off petfinder. Dismal. Depressing, too.

I've gotten a few game players contacting me off craigslist. Usually they contact me only once, and when I respond, asking them to call, or send the adoption contract I have, I never hear back. Craigslist is problematic in this way, that even one contact can take tons of useful time away, in useless responses, and the person will never call anyway. Sometimes, I know, it's little kids, home from school, playing games with people's time for fun. I think craigslist has a lot of people who are very bored who use it, and may have nothing at all to do with their time. I think those people should turn off their computers and start doing something good, like volunteering.

3 comments:

  1. i'll send money for some extra care for the calico if you can get her, Jody...its too cold for that poor thing to be out and starving...its one thing if we don't see them....but when we know they are there, something needs to be done - what did safehaven say about the cat?
    Poor twitter - he belongs with a loving caregiver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, Jeanne, it's having her here, probably forever, too many! And the fact she is inhabiting an extremely dangerous area, for a trapper, between the on and off ramps of two major highways. Unbelievably dangerous to try to set or check traps there and nowhere anywhere close to park. A nightmare situation. It has to be done in the night, to minimize the possibility of my own death, by car. The last calico I trapped there nearly killed me, from exhaustion and took five straight nights, because it's a huge area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't forget - its not always forever....cats do leave us at some point....but the danger, yes, I can see that - I just wish I could be there to do it for you...is that a calico area or what?

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...