Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Night at the Rest Area

I spent Christmas night at the rest area. Some folks lost their Siamese there, the 23rd. For some reason they tried to walk the cat on their dogs leash, even though the cat is not leash trained and the cat slipped the collar and ran for the brush.

I spotted the Siamese somewhere near 11:00 p.m., coming out of a wooded area. But the cat would never go for a trap, perhaps because by then the temp was below freezing and all bait froze solid quickly. However I trapped a young black cat.

Cats don't get to that rest area unless they are dumped or lost from a car. I asked her, "Which was it with you?" She was starving and trying to get into a garbage can. When she saw me, she peeked shyly at me, eyes hungry, for more than just food. She was in my trap in about five seconds she was so starved. Now what to do with this one?

I kept trapping for the Siamese without any luck. The worst of it is, she is crossing I5, twice that I saw. She wasn't hit, but she will be. Maybe that's why she's doing it. She thinks she's been abandoned.

Maybe she has. Her people weren't out there searching her out, that's for sure. Not sure why. Must be a reason.

8 comments:

  1. Poor little Siamese. I do hope you can get her...thanks for trying. And great to hear you got the young black one with the hungry eyes :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be careful out there. I wish you had someone to go with you on these night excursions, especially to rest stops on Christmas night....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heart goes out to that meezer in the cold. Meezers have short coats and I know my three LOATHE even the door open!! They yowl!! That poor cat is likely frantic and Siamese are not cats who can easily stay in one place. They have to be near their person or people and she must be desperate and lonely and sad and so very scared! I cannot imagine why they are not searching. If this happenedAny of my meezers (unlikely but accidents can happen to anyone), I would not sleep until I found her or him!!! And indoor cats have different ways of hiding than ones who are used to the outdoors. They are not street wise and they become scared even of people they know - until they are calmed down - hence the prob with a trap. They need to establish grid because one thing is certain - an indoor Siamese will not go far from home and she will find a hidey hole near the home. If she is lucky, she will survive but she needs to be found soon. That coat of theirs is not suited to winter!! I put a coat on mine when they go out and carry them and even then, I am certain the yowls can be heard in New England!

    Oh my, I will pray (not that I am the best at tha but I will say special prayer when we light the Menorrah tonight!).

    Take care yourself!!! Hope your Christmas was good! Mine was busy working - kids at the hospital and then some of s have a tradition of working at a local shelter operated by Christians who like to be home with their families so we take over completek for the day. It's a mitzvah!

    Happy Holidays to everyone!

    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sad to hear that. I hope that your or some other kind soul is able to catch the Siamese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, if that were one of our cats hubby and I would be taking shifts so one of us was there until she was caught. It would break my heart to lose any one of mine even if they do make me crazy.~Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it was too cold for the couple to search, it was too cold for their cat to be out....how disheartening - that a pet's people won't even take the time to look...poor baby. wish there was someway traffic could be stopped there until she is caught..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they've been back to look for her a couple of times. I told them the times however, that are best, and it's not in the middle of the day. Anyhow, yes, cats303, it was slightly creepy at times there, lots of people sleeping in their cars, a lot of them very nice. One poor man was so tired, he was asleep hunched forward, head against steering wheel. But it was so cold, the cold would wake him and he'd have to run his car awhile. It was very very cold. Looked like a layer of fresh snow in the morning, but just heavy heavy frost on the grass, no way at all for a cat to smell a trap or want to go in one, with the bait frozen solid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No matter how cold, I couldn't imagine leaving until I found my kitty.

    ReplyDelete

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...