Saturday, December 27, 2008

Another Night in the Rest Area

I was not going to try to go after that Siamese again, but my heart is going out to her. I didn't see her last night, in another cold night hunched dozing in my car. I did see the ferret ODOT crews said was lost there from a car 8 months ago. Isn't that unbelievable?

And I caught a kitten. A little thing. Maybe 8 weeks. Starving.

ODOT crews had said there were kittens dumped there, but they found one, maybe more, dead, and figured they all had died. But the first night there, I had seen something small dart away from one of my traps. I thought in the dark, at first, it was a skunk, but it was too small. Later, I figured I was seeing things. It was this kitten.

I've other small things in the dark from a distance near the trap. I think there are more kittens out there. No sign of the Siamese however, not all night long. Doesn't bode well for her.

Why aren't her owners out there in shifts looking? I do not know the answer to that question. I would be combing every square inch of that area, if I lost a cat there.

I have an offer of a Lebanon barn home for some of these cats and I am very excited about that.

Last night, about 11:30 p.m., suddenly a woman with a very large bright gold purse came towards my car window. I was dozing. She was shaking what looked like an old can. I tried to say something to her through the window, and she must have heard, but she just grunted and shook whatever she had in her hand again, like I should know what she wanted, or wanted to sell. All I could focus on was that gawdy gold purse.

She then went to try to wake truckers and see who else was awake or that she could wake up in their cars. I couldn't figure it out, but maybe it's something that goes on a lot at rest areas. Maybe she wanted money, but why that gold purse? Maybe she was a whore? Or selling drugs? I just don't know. But that purse was something else!

She finally got into a fairly nice black car and drove off. It wasn't a junker. So I really can't say what that was about.

I just got home, believe it or not, at 10:00 a.m. so those of you who haven't heard from me, I'm exhausted is all, from a quest to find a lost Siamese that has so far produced two unrelated very in need cats. And I am hoping very much that this barn home will work out for them.

3 comments:

  1. Thank god you came back safe and sound..the kittens were lucky too.
    The owners of the Siamese should be left out on the side of a road somewhere, the bastards. Get some rest, Jody. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. another kitten..they sure have a way of finding you, don't they? Lucky little thing....but poor siamese - i am worried, too - wish i could get out there and help you look...

    ReplyDelete
  3. think maybe she was trying to collect money in that old can to put in her gaudy gold purse? or perhaps drugs were in the can and she wanted money for them to put in her gaudy gold purse....or perhaps she wanted someone to buy the gaudy gold purse and put the money in her can....

    ReplyDelete

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...