Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Luv Christmas

I do love the Christmas season. Not for religious or commercial reasons. I love it as a season that feels like anything could happen, like people might just bust out of their tight fitting shells and do something spectacular. I feel like there is a magical twinkle behind every eye.

I love Christmas.

I like the thought of helping others, in secret. My brother and I once discussed finding a worthy target and sneaking up to their porch very very early Christmas morning to deliver exactly what those folks needed to save their lives, like a receipt for the rest of the rent for the month, or a paid overdo car payment. Whatever it was that person or those folks truly needed to save them, that's what we would deliver, in secret---early early Christmas morning.

My younger brother and I even discussed once the need for more superheroes in this world. I said "How hard could it be? We find tasks needing done desperately, scope the area out, swoop in at night and do the job." We had in mind doing repairs, like new roofs, or replacing junked out non-running cars with one that ran, raising money and delivering relief to families whose kids had cancer, that kind of thing.

My brother said with his luck, if he wore a cape, he'd get caught and end up trying to explain the tights and cape to sheriff deputies and some big hairy biker type cellmate he got stuck with. I said, "Oh, if you got caught in the act of trying to be a super hero, helping humanity, they'd love your tights, cape and the whole story. They'd probably get some for themselves when they got out of jail, and go try the same thing. Everyone wants to be a hero."

I do love Christmas. The possibilities for hope and spectacular goodness are unlimited. It's like inhibitions are loosened, like when you're drunk. We're freed to be generous and good.

I saw stories on the news of Black Friday lines stretching out. Some of those in line were interviewed. What struck me was that many of the young waiting for cash off deals on non-essential electronics and games, were buying for themselves.

To this, one reporter said loudly and very noisily "Bah Humbug!" I am with him.

In other news, I believe Sam might be getting a home on Tuesday. I am excited about this possibility! Munchy left last week and sure, we miss that funny fun little boy, but he needed to move on, also. Sam is well loved here, and is looked up to, especially by Doc and Mops who follow him everywhere and sleep entwined with him. They adore him!

1 comment:

  1. isn't it hard, sometimes, on the cats when they are broken apart like that - after they've formed bonds with each other? I know they need to move on - I was thinking, though, about Sam - being a bit older and all. I worry about him because I know he needs a forever home and would want to be sure that is the kind he would get. How is Munchy doing now? Do you get follow up on special kittens such as him?> I hope you do...

    ReplyDelete

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...