Friday, November 21, 2008

Four Cats to Be Fixed Today. 899 Taken in This Year.

One of two teens from the Wilco couple colony, being fixed today. There are three teens plus mom, but I only caught two of the teens and not the momThe other teen from the Wilco couple colonyThe Wilco couple colony angry black tux problem male, who is getting an attitude adjustment today.
Second Boondoggie kitten, being fixed today.

The boondoggie kitten again. I think it's a girl. The other one, fixed Wednesday, was a boy, and still in my bathroom, because he has a cold. I returned the mother, who was in heat again.

I am using the last of this month's alloted funds, to take in four cats. One of them is the second kitten of the two kittens and mother cat, fed by the former Boondoggies. However, I have to dig the kitten out of a bathroom cabinet this morning first.

Yesterday, when I stopped in at Wilco, to get some hold over Advantage, since I am out, until a mail order shipment arrives, a couple came up to me, after they saw the back of my car. On the back of my car, I display, with black adhesive numbers stuck to magnetic white backed sheeting, the up to date number of cats I've taken in for fixing this year alone. That number is currently 899. 899 cats rounded up this year so far.

They asked if get cats fixed. I said "Yes". Then I quickly explained my current funding shortage and that I will get another allotment of funds the first of the month and could they wait.

They described the sheer numbers of cats they've taken in, from their neighborhood, since moving to Albany. 12. And, they've had to get all but one fixed. That one wandered up needing help, sporting a right eartip. They don't have a lot of money. They cannot believe the sheer numbers of unfixed free roaming and abandoned cats in Albany. They think it's disgraceful, and a commentary on residents.

They had one cat wander up desperate, who had on a collar with ID tags. They faithfully called the number and the two, a couple, came and retrieved him. They said they had to make him live in the garage, because they'd gotten a dog. Two months later the cat returned, without tags. The couple had said they were moving soon. So they dumped their sweet cat and he is sweet, like trash. Common behavior here.

They used to be diehard dog people. They said they used to enjoy turning hoses on cats if they came into their yard, in other places they have lived. Now they're diehard cat people and cannot believe how much they missed out on, before. They described each cat with love and adoration and told me cats are so much more interesting than the eager to please dogs.

Anyhow, more strays have showed up outside, a mother with three kittens and an aggressive male and that they could find no one to help get them fixed. They'd been to Safehaven, called places. I said I didn't know when I could get their strays fixed, but I wouldn't forget them.

So when trapping a couple more at the 34th st Baptist colony was a wash, I went over there and trapped three, two of the three kittens and the big trouble making male. They were thrilled. I wish I could have taken in all five, however. I believe I have almost $200 left in the fixing allotment.

Even if all four are females, and I know one is a male for sure, it would come out ok on the funds.

2 comments:

  1. that couple almost remind me of me...not that i was a diehard dog fanatic - i was not a diehard anything. Just lost in myself. Till my first cat...then the next...and the next....its amazing how the chain starts.
    I think lots of us cat people understand their frustration with no one wanting, willing, or able to do something...I remember when our first stray, Skitty, got - believe it or not - inside a house that was unoccupied - owned, just unoccupied - and couldn't find her way out. I called 911 - I called animal control - I called first call for help - no one could do anything. the one place looked up the number of the people who owned the house based on the address, but they couldn't call! they gave me the number they had, but i never got an answer. In the meantime, I was literally squeezing food through the door each day for her - finally, four days later, when i was ready to break in a window with a brick (by the way, we knew she was in there because we saw her sitting in the windowsill - and when she saw us she was crying out to us) she magically got out!!! She was a stupid little cat - but finally figured out a way out of there - these city houses are not easy to even look into around back with all the fences and wires and such...she gobbled down three cans of cat food all at once....r.i.p. Skitty...
    by the way, when those home owners finally got around to their house i am sure they were scratching their heads at the dried food all around their front door....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, Jeane. Dried food on their door. They deserved it. Glad she found a way out.

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...