Saturday, August 23, 2008

Letter from Keane

I received a bizarre letter in the mail. From the Keane Organization, and it is cryptic, stating they have attempted to contact me concerning unclaimed money from one of my dead parents, listed by name and address. Of course, this is intriguing, makes me want to call them, since they have details, even my address. Instead I searched the net for information. I may indeed have unclaimed money out there, as an heir to my mother, but I won't get it through Keane. The real weird thing is at the bottom of the letter, partially under other print, you can see old faded type print, backwards and upside down mirror image, but I can read backwards. I'm dyslexic.

This is how Keane operates. Read one of many complaints below, about this, and other such companies:

Report: The Keane Organization
Category: Corrupt Companies

The Keane Organization Interstate Mail & Wire Fraud Regarding Unclaimed Money or Assets Wayne Pennsylvania


Read how Ripoff Report saves consumers millions.

Rebuttal Box
Respond to this report!
Are you an owner, employee or ex-employee with either negative or positive information about the company or individual, or can you provide "insider information" on this company?

Victim of this person/company?
Are you also a victim of the same company or individual? Want Justice? File a Rip-off Report, help other consumers to be educated and don´t let them get away with it!

The Keane Organization
Phone: 800-848-8896
Fax:
1400 Liberty Ridge Drive, Suite 201, Wayne, PA 19087-5525
Wayne, Pennsylvania, 19087-5525
U.S.A.

Submitted: 12/19/2007 2:48:54 PM
Modified: 12/19/2007 2:49:00 PM
Keane victim
St. Petersburg, Florida


The Keane Organization, wholly-owned by Steven J. Grossman, is a company that was started by Grossman's father tracing unclaimed money to the alleged owners of the same. For many years his wife, Carol Rosen (nee Honigman) ran the business with him and had offices on Tower Bridge Road in Conshocken, PA. The company has operated under the names 'Keane Tracers' and the 'Keane Company, Inc.' and their history can be reviewed on the website for the Pennsylvania Dept. of State. His wife divorced him some years ago and threatened to expose his shady business tactics. Extortion? Maybe. Be she walked away with a pile of cash and a new house and, of course, alimony for the children, Emily and Benjamin.

The way this business operates is that they either independently obtain unclaimed money records from various governmental entities (which are public financial records) and from business entities (such as Fortune 1000 companies) that they convince to allow them to work their 'general ledger,' which contains things such as unclaimed stocks, bonds, warrants and other forms of corporate securities. A large part of the business networking was performed by the wife, Carol Rosen/Grossman, through the Corporate Transfer Agents Association and the Securities Transfers Agents Assocation located in New York, NY. The approach is that since the various state unclaimed money offices are engaging in an unjust money-grab of other peoples's money, the Keane crew will take the records, engage in location efforts to find the owners of the monies or assets, charge them a fee, and then prepare a 'holder report' due to the various state unclaimed money offices, and doing their own little pigging out at the money trough all the while. In other words: Let us make the money instead of some lousy government entity.

The way the fraud is committed is that they keep the entire transaction 'blind.' That means that they never tell you where the money or asset is located or how much it is in total sum or current value. So, when they propose their 'fee' you don't know if it is 35% of $1,000 or $100,000. Now this is where the game gets really interesting. They will then two-step you into playing along. First, they send an innocent-sounding 'fee contract.' This contract then obligates you to 'sign all documents necessary to complete the claim.' After you return this contract, they hit you with the second step which is the 'power of attorney' to redeem your money or asset. If you don't sign the power of attorney then you have then 'breached' your contract. No signed power of attorney for us, no money or asset redemption for you. Now that the hook has been set, they take the documents and file a claim as your 'attorney in fact' under the power of attorney.

Next, once the financial holding agent or transfer agent receives their claim and the power of attorney to act on your behalf, the money or asset is released to them (or in the case of stocks, liquidated after the agent signs off on the security certificate).

If you never receive your money after so much time, like me, then you call them and ask what is going on. Since you never knew the actual amount of the money or asset, they can tell you anything they want. If it was $10,000 they redeemed, they can say it was just $1,000 and give you just $650.00 on a fee of $350.00 (35%). You never know or could know where the money or asset was since the contract you signed doesn't obligate them to disclose anything; it was a one-sided contract all along, and they know that. This is where the psychology of the game intensifies. 65% of 'something' is better than 100% of nothing, which is what you get if you don't execute the 'satisfaction of claim' form. Remember, the contract requires that you sign all documents necessary to 'complete the claim.' No attorney is going to go on a goose-chase for you after some out-of-state business for some unknown sum of money. You're stuck. Take it or leave it.

But now its your turn. You'll likely get a check drawn on a certain bank. Now you have an account number and a physical address for a bank somewhere. Of course, for them to have deposited the money due to you into that issuing bank account, the money had to come from somewhere, namely, another bank account that they use. This is where you can get a foothold to follow the money-trail. You can then also complain directly to the bank's internal security office and have them verify whether a check with your name on it was ever deposited to that account. If not, be very suspicious. They could have deposited the actual check in another account and merely transferred a certain sum to pay you into their 'client account,' etc.

If they utterly refuse to disclose the source or location of the money or asset they redeemed, then you can do two things. First, you complain to the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office stating that you believe you've may have been defrauded. After all, if everything is legit, why wouldn't they tell you where the money came from? It's all over with at that point, right? They will argue that to disclose the source of the money would be to disclose a 'trade secret,' which means they don't want you to know where they are fishing at since then you can do the same thing they are doing: Buy a current copy of the record and start locating people on the list yourself. But the approach here is that they have cheated/defrauded you and you want to simply verify that the money released to them is, in fact, the true and actual sum they put into the bank and that the sum you received is truly 65% of what they redeemed. If the Pennsylvania State Attorney General's office does not satisfy you, then it on to step two.

Now you up the ante and call and write a complaint to the United States Attorney General's, Criminal Investigation Office in Washington,D.C.alleging that these creeps are engaging in interstate fraud and mail and wire fraud. The money in most cases will have come from some other state to them in Pennsylvania and then to you, where ever you are. You can reference this complaint and those on file with the Better Business Bureau where they are members. Emphasize that you think there is fraud going on and they should be required to disclose basic verifying information.

And don't forget: You can use internet blogs and other internet resources to air your complaint and expose the whole shady business.

If you are ever contacted by The Keane Orgainzation, or any other unclaimed money redemption outfit, never agree to their contract terms alone. Insist that, if they are legitimate, then they must disclose the actual sum of money involved and its location upon your signing of the contract; and further insist that the money be paid to you within set period of time. Also, make the power of attorney limited and time-based, which means that they can only use it for one transaction within a specific period of time. If they discover two different sums of unclaimed money or stock, etc, due to you, you can get cheated out of one since an unlimited power of attorney allows them to use it multiple times whenever they so choose. When the whole business is over with, insist that they return to you the original copy of the power of attorney. This prevents them from using it again at another location or with another holding agent or transfer agent.

Last, always negotiate your fee. Never agree to the proposed fee that they first offer. Always try to get as low as 10% or 15%, and never any more than 25%. It is all relative depending on the actual total sum involved. Also, never disclose to them any personal information that they don't have already. Why? Because they will try to feel out your current financial situation and take advantage of that to their own advantage, which is jacking up the fee; after all, you're hurting and desperate and need the money. Don't let them know that.

Last, be sure to check the access history of your credit report. Unscrupulous operators will first access you credit report to spy on your financial situation first to gain the advantage in the agreed fee percentage, pushing it as high as possible.

Keane victim
St. Petersburg, Florida
U.S.A.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, you could check with the unclaimed properties official site with your state or even the Federal Government and get 100% of anything you have coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be doing just that. Whether this company his slipped into outright attempts at identity theft, I don't know. If so, that would mean there likely is no money left me. But, according to what I've read, they only bother to contact people they can make money off of, who do have unclaimed funds out there somewhere, although they can be very difficult to locate. I cannot believe that my mother left funds not included in the will, directly to me. She was under the thumb of my father, and, lost her mental capacity in the 90's after suffering grand mal seizures for four hours. Her dear husband watched it happen and did not call an ambulance. Afterwards, her brain damage, my brothers and father called Alzheimers. Served to keep secret what happened. Like psychiatry's willing ineptitude helped gloss my father's behavior towards me in destructive labels with destructive consequences.

    So I cannot believe there is money put away for me by my mother. The only way that could have occurred is if my father put money under her name, to hide it. But he would not have willed it to me. And if it was my fathers' assets, my brothers would take it anyway. So this must be scam.

    However, I will attempt to search unclaimed money pages, federally and locally. Nothing was in her name. there's nothing out there for me, although the thought is romantic and alluring, if only for the reason that someone might have thought of me, who knew me and my situation and the reasons.

    To dare to think my mother tried to stash something for me, knowing what I went through in my life, knowing it would have to be kept secret, is enough to bring tears to my eyes just to think it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avoid Keane! They charged me 35% to report my current address to a company whose stock I owned. That is ALL they did!

    If you get a letter from them, start doing your own research to find your lost money. Be aware--they will call you repeatedly, send you many letters that try to convince you that you absolutely need them. They want that money!

    At a certain point, I think people feel as though the 35% is worth it to not have to do the work, but it really is not. Don't let laziness cause you to lose your money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I filed a comlaint about them, with the attorney general of that state. They contacted me, lied to the attorney general and said they were now dealing with my brother, which is true, since I was never an heir to my parents estate. My brother, despite my warnings about Keane, went ahead with letting them recover the asset, with them taking a huge part of it. I suppose it's ok for him, since he has money, but it was a demeaning experience, when they told the attorney general's office "why would we deal with her anymore, she has nothing and isn't even an heir." They're lucky they didn't deal with me. Very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness for bloggers! If it weren't for them, I would have used Keane Company's services. I got contacted about a month ago. The gentleman that calls and the initial paperwork is very convincing. I even took the paperwork to my financial advisor, he thought everything looked legit. I even checked the BBB, no complaints there. I filled out the paperwork, called the guy at Keane, and told him I was going to send in the paperwork, my husband told me to wait, that he wanted to look on the internet about this company. I thank my lucky stars that he did...he found similar blogs like the ones listed on this site. DO NOT USE KEANE! THEY DO NOT HAVE YOUR BEST INTEREST! I still have not found my so-called unclaimed assets, but I will keep searching. Funny thing is, the $$ amount that they told me they found, was the same amount in my 401K, that I rolled over into an IRA. Coincidence, probably not....so I probably already have these assets.
    BE CAREFUL....do your homework on these companies, I almost didn't!
    (hope this helps others! :o) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, there were unclaimed assets out there, of my mothers. My brother also got a letter from Keane and said they had sent the contract originally to "an illegitimate heir". That would be me. I'm my mother's daughter all right, but was left out of my father's will. Anyhow, my brother then located the asset on his own and got control of it sans Keane. So you may or may not have unclaimed assets, but if you do, Keane would likely take a high percentage of it. Do a search yourself. Usually it's unclaimed hidden away inheritance, from someone that has died, but the asset was "lost" on the estate. These assets are usually in the hands of banks or states, after someone dies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Research your state laws. All unclaimed property is eventually escheated to the state. Fancy way of saying turned over to the state. Most, if not all states will give you your money back, and all accrued interest for free. Maybe some filing fees for the paperwork. Companies like Keane use a network of relationships with other companies to gain access to their general ledger and sometimes companies notify Keane directly to aid in locating individuals who have become unreachable. Keane is interested in finding these lost/abandoned funds before they are turned over to the state because they can ask any amount for the recovery fee. Most states have a cap (10%-15%) on what recovery companies can charge, but that cap only applies after the funds are turned over to the state. So, if you don't want to pay the Keane fee, just wait until the funds are turned over to the state, find them by the free state unclaimed property searches, and get them back for free. If you are hard pressed for the cash and don't see the 25% to 35% recovery fee as a ripoff, then use the Keane service as they are legitimate, although somewhat unethical in the opinion of some folks.

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...