Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Five Cats Being Fixed Today and Front Street Felines Caretaker Tells me to Go to Hell

I took up five cats today, for fixing, three females and two males. One male and two females hail from Albany, while one female comes from rural Linn County and the other male is from Corvallis. Afterwards, I stopped by the Front Street Felines colony, hoping this time she'd hand over the one unfixed female and maybe even the four kittens, now ten weeks of age.

No such luck. She told me to go to hell, that they were done getting cats fixed, that nature would fix them for them because the black adult female hasn't gone into heat and she should have. So nature is going to help them now, she said, not me.

I had suspicions about the adult black female the first day I saw her, atop one of two junked cars, filled with junk, in the driveway. She had a right eartip, cut straight and clean across. I asked them who took her in for them. They claimed her ear got cut like that when one of the big males bit it off in a fight over him wanting sex with her. But the cut was so clean and straight. For proof they said she had kittens. Three of them. Two black males and a Snowshoe Siamese female.

I let it go and got the other ten or eleven adults fixed. I have been over there and over there, to get that last female. They claim they'll have her, then when I go to pick her up, they'll say they let her out, but they never call to tell me and I've wasted a great deal of time on this.

Today, the decree that nature will help them and also, that I go to hell. I looked at those kittens in sadness. They are flea and worm ridden. One of the black male kittens is badly hurt, can barely walk and she poohooed his injury as nothing. The orange male kitten has a closed over eye and she poohooed that, too, saying it's from birth, but I could see the drainage and pus. I walked away without another word to the woman. What could I say? I can't steal those kittens and I am not psychic to know if that female, with the cut off right eartip, is spayed or not.

Three houses down, I got about ten cats fixed, including, I think a black female and I did get those cats eartipped. Those folks claim this cat can't be their cat down there, but of course it could be. Of course, in the last three months time, someone else could have grabbed her and taken her in to be fixed, after just giving birth. I'll look up the dates, when I first started on that bunch of cats, when I got the black female three houses down fixed, and if it is possible that is the same cat, due to the age of the kittens.

It is also possible those aren't even her kittens.

The neighbor beside that house sometimes is angry about all the cats his neighbor has, and sometimes comes down on me for trying to get them fixed, like it's stupid or useless, so I don't know where they really stand. Today he was more like "it's always been this way, with them having too many cats and always will be that way." I said, "I had hoped I could solve it for them, for the cats and for the neighborhood."

So I just came home. I am disappointed. There will be more reproduction if any of those kittens survive. Anyhow, I'll see if I can figure out if that is the cat I took in from down the block to be fixed, and if not, if it might have been another cat fixer or neighbor who might have taken the cat in to be fixed somewhere.

I checked my records and the black female from a few houses down was in heat at spay, on February 29. Unless she was not actually spayed, but eartipped, that's not her. I began there mid May. So, since I saw the cat's eartip then, the most likely time of her spay would have been the early May Philomath FCCO clinic. She would just given birth. This narrows the search for answers down.

7 comments:

  1. hi strayer,
    your blog is so depressing i can't bear to read it every day.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is depressing isn't it? Hey, try doing this for a few years. I don't know why I haven't jumped off a bridge long ago or turned to drugs! Just kidding there. I don't know how to dress it up happy. The plight of the strays out there is very difficult for animal lovers.

    want to know something really sad about the house the people live in? It's only listed as worth $10,000 on the county site. Most barns are listed as worth far higher. Even some sheds and detached garages. That's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why, catso, but you made me feel so much better by saying that. Normal I guess. If you reading it get depressed, then I think it's probably normal for me to get depressed living it. So, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have strays that we feed that we want to get fixed. Where can we can get traps in Mult. Co.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike youj're fortunate up there. Check out the Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon. They have frequent clinics in the Portland area. You go to their website, click services on the top then clinic schedule, call the number listed by the clinic, leave a message about wanting to register cats and the number and they even have traps to loan out. www.feralcats.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to adopt Zoey if she hasn't already found a forever home! I have one 8 yr old that is the love of my life, I just adopted her and one woofie named Marley who is 7, check out my blog at Furballsx2.blogspot.com then please email me, or call. I would drive from Newberg to get her! Thank You
    Sharin Leavitt
    503-537-9072

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zoey is in Beaverton, with Poppa's president and she would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...