Tuesday, May 20, 2008

California Trying to Pass Spay/Neuter Legislation, to Save Money

Click post title to go to the main website for proponents of the California solution to companion animal overpopulation. Hundreds of thousands of animals are killed in California shelters every year at an extreme cost to taxpayers. California is trying to do something about this, by passing a spay/neuter law. I believe some parts of the bill state that all dogs and cats four months of age or older must be fixed. Shelters must fix animals prior to adopting them out, so they don't become part of the problem either. It makes sense. I wish Oregon could become as progressive as California. For animal haters out there or those who think government shouldn't regulate what people do with their pets---laws come about because irresponsible people behave miserably and their actions affect others, in costs and livability. Then come regulations.

So bitch at the irresponsible pet owners and breeders who don't fix their dogs and cats.

On the right side of the homepage, they have counter running, stating the numbers of cats and dogs killed in shelters so far this year and the cost to taxpayers. Here's the tally so far, from their website:


2008 ca shelter report
In the 140 days since January 1:


Pets killed: 193,179
Taxes spent:
$96,473,857.00

In other news, I called the Albany water department today, to find out if they knew why the last few days the water has tasted so horribly strong of chlorine. It's been so bad it's burned my throat. So, I don't drink it currently.

I got the fifth degree. I thought they'd tell me something like they've been adding more chlorine, for some reason, some reason maybe related to the time of year, or something. But instead, she asked me if the water from the bathroom and from my neighbors also tasted of chlorine. I said I don't know my neighbors and I don't drink the water when I shower, just from the kitchen sink and that it's only been this bad for a week or so. She started in again, saying Albany water is all from one source so if my neighbors water isn't reeking of chlorine....she wanted me to believe it's all in my head. Problem solved. I had to interupt again to tell her I don't know my neighbors so I have no clue if their water tastes excessively of chlorine lately or not. She said she would have someone look into it and get back to me.

I am very sensitive to chlorine. I can't swim in public swimming pools more than once, before my eyes turn blood red and my skin breaks out in bumps. I know what chlorine does to me. This water lately only, reeks of chlorine.

I think if you pay for safe water, you should get safe water. Water rates just went up again, too. I should be able drink the water exiting the tap.

Does anyone know if there's a test that can be done to check chlorine levels after filling a glass from the faucet? I want to know and I do not believe I'll get anything straight from the city necessarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...