Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sudden Death

The Kind Hearted woman colony, in Lebanon, sustained a loss last night. An old woman lives in a house and feeds strays. Her granddaughter takes care of her and also the cats. The granddaughter had told me her aunt, the old woman's daughter, had gotten sick about three weeks ago. Efforts to find out what was wrong were hampered by the fact the aunt's doctor had retired. Last night, she died, at the hospital. The family had not even found out she had cancer until yesterday.

She died gracefully, her niece told me tonight. I had called, because I had been scheduled to go over to trap cats there this evening. I won't be going. The family is in grief.

S said when she saw her last night, her aunt took her hand and squeezed it. With great difficulty, she said "I'll see you, on the other side." And then she smiled.

I met the now deceased woman Sunday night, when over to pick up cats at her mother's. She was in great pain and very ill, but would try to make light conversation. She was scared. Her husband of many decades must be lost today.

A little boy was struck and gravely injured just a couple blocks from where I live last night. I had come back early evening and saw a lot of flashing lights and turned to go home by a different street. Later, I went down to the Circle K to get a drink, and the street was still blocked off, with lots of police cars there. I asked the clerks what had happened. They were still in shock over it. They said they looked down, heard a huge "thump", looked up and a kid was flying through the air. He was lifeflighted out to Portland.

Guess he was struck in the crosswalk by a big pickup driving east on 34th street. The pickup driver said he couldn't see the boy in the crosswalk because a car was stopped at the stop sign at Marion, waiting to turn and he couldn't see around that car. I know it is very hard to see at that intersection, if you are on Marion, attempting to turn onto 34th street. But I've never had a problem seeing on 34th street itself.

The accident is still under investigation. I hope the little boy makes it. My heart goes out to the friend, who was with him, and to the boy's family.

In other news, I have a very uncomfortable toothache, upper right side. It is sore above the tooth also, and I think my cheek might puff out in absess fashionware to go along with the screaming pain. I want to get my snubnose pliers out, and yank the damn tooth out myself, but I'd need specially shaped handles to be able to reach this tooth. I want the thing out of there! I want it gone!

2 comments:

  1. My Bean's grandpaw always suggested tying a string to the tooth, and the other end to an open door, and then slaming the door shut. I dunno, but that sounds painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the string would break first. I'd bet on that. I thought, ok, crack it up the middle first, with a small bore and a hammer. Then pull out the split sides. Sure, sounds painful and gorey, but if I made a video of doing it, I'd be an instant youtube star! and maybe my starhood would transform into bucks for spay/neuter! Woohooo!

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...