Thursday, January 31, 2008

Seven Cats to be Fixed Tomorrow

Tomorrow, seven cats will be fixed. I have donations to cover most of the fixes. Here is the list: One Sweet Home logger boys Lynx Point Siamese female. One BS colony gray female (this cat had gone missing from the colony mid summer and only recently reappeared--cat number 92 fixed there); orange tabby on white tom, from Waverly Waifs; Calico adult feral, from Waverly Waifs; Owned black and white Lebanon male; gray tabby on white male kitten, from Waverly Waifs colony (the other three kittens, two girls and a boy, were fixed Wednesday); Bucky, the long hair male white kitten abandoned on 34th street.

The latter two kittens I am taking to Greenhill to be fixed through fellow cat trapper/fixaholic Larissa, of West Fir, since they are underweight to do at Countryside. The other option is to take them clear to Tigard.

Larissa is unbelievable. She probably curses me nights, but I got her started in this cat fixing obsession. She answered an ad another friend posted at the West Fir post office, about barn cats I had. It was my ad. I was trying to relocate Koos warehouse cats. She took four I think, in the end. I explained to her what I do. So she gets a trap and starts out and now has eclipsed me.

She has her own nonprofit, FAN, in West Fir, and hooked up with Greenhill to do a lot of cats each week and is even paid by Greenhill for staying to work as a surgery assistant for the day. Oh, that this county had such programs.

My roots are West Fir. The mill she sometimes discusses in her own blog is the mill where my grandfather worked. An uncle died at 17 years of age when he was driving around the mill pond and his car plunged into the pond. My father used to talk of it, since this was an older brother he loved. He can still remember how the mill whistles blew.

I know about mill whistles, growing up in a mill town. They'd blow at shift changes and closing time and anytime they blew in between those times meant "accident". So everybody dreaded the sound of a mill whistle at off hour.

So my deep roots are West Fir. And Larissa lives next to the ruins of that mill my grandfather worked and where my Uncle died at age 17. My grandfather helped build the covered bridge there in West Fir, too, my father said. When she takes walks, she treads on ground my family worked and lived upon. She picks through artifacts of that mill and I wonder sometimes if what she picks up is something one of my family members touched long ago. My grandparents had ten or twelve kids. A set of twins died of measles when four years old. Then the other uncle died at 17. So three of them never made it to adulthood.

Anyhow......

2 comments:

  1. I often set traps under the covered bridge to trap the colony there, and the house we live in was originally owned by the mill, and they gave the home to an old woman when her husband died in a mill accident. Apparently the whistles went off, and he was dead. I heard she was a funny old lady with religious bumper stickers all over her car, and the teenagers made fun of her when she drove by. I have a vision of her being a crazy cat lady.

    I have also had a vision of an old woman swinging from a rope from our attic rafters, wonder if its her? And, I have had an old woman ghost touch me on the shoulder one night when drawing a bath to soak in, I think its her. I wonder if its a relative?

    And, One of my best friends here has the same last name as you, I wonder if distant relative from the mill days? I never put two and two together on that one.

    I did take four cats from Koos, but Emerald has been gone for months, and is on the MIA list now. I dont know how old he was, but hope that he enjoyed his time here.

    hope the kittens that were fixed are doing good, and I have not eclipsed you!!! Yet!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bucky, the white long hair, won't leave me alone! I took back the other one, to the guy who trapped him. He still has all of them in his apartment and is hoping to find them homes. He even has the adult feral mother and the big honking male, fixed today in Jefferson, all in his place and he confessed he is attached to all of them. He trapped the final cat he feeds, a young male, tonight. I picked him up, will get him fixed Monday I guess.

    I probably have kin up there. My father was an isolationist, so I never met many of my probably innumberable cousins. Not a one. He had among the 10 or so siblings, only two sisters. The brothers were all older. He and his one sister were like a second time around family, came later. It's got to be the old lady haunting that place. Wonder why she didn't move on, I guess it's called. Unfinished business of some sort. Maybe she was murdered. How did she die?

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...