Thursday, December 27, 2007

Three Cats Fixed Today and I Net a Badly Injured Cat

Three more cats were fixed today, courtesy of Poppa Inc. One is from Shedd, a male, now six or seven months old, born to a tame mother dumped there a year ago. I got the mother cat fixed last summer. There are two surviving kittens. I set two traps yesterday and caught one in the night, the male, while the female went into a trap today, and will be fixed tomorrow, finishing that small colony before it had a chance to blow up.

The other two teenagers, both orange females, are the survivors of a litter from an orange mother, who lives next door. I got the mother fixed a couple months ago. Now these two girls are also fixed, finishing that small colony.

I stopped by Hate Thy Neighbor tonight, in the dark and freezing cold and pouring rain. On the porch, when I drove up, was the newcomer to the colony, that the old man told me about yesterday--a gray and white long hair young kitty, badly injured. The cat doesn't use it's left front leg and is missing a lot of fur on the left side also. There are some huge open sores on the left side above that leg.

I had my remote control trap along. I set it. The cat went in. I hit the switch and nothing happened, except the cat heard the buzzing and movement of the servo arm above him, and exited the trap. I snuck quietly out of the car with my trusty fish net, and netted the cat as it flew by, once it saw me.

Without a towel handy, I took off my outer shirt to put over the cat in the net, leaving me in just a T-shirt in the freezing wind and rain. I got the cat into the malfunctioning trap and then put my shirt over the trap. Once the trap was inside the car, I was able to see the cat is very seriously injured. I don't know how the cat was so badly injured. Looks like a car hit injury or a fan belt injury to me. Also could be buckshot. I'll let the vet assess his or her injury and its cause.

The injured cat is very pretty. I don't know where the cat came from. The caretaker of the HTN colony saw it first a few days ago, limping, behind the empty house across the street.
Black male, from Shedd
One of two orange sisters, from Albany.
Second orange sister fixed today, along with the black Shedd male.
Injured gray and white kitty.
The injuries.
This injured kitty is very beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. That poor injured baby! Sending purrayers for theinjured baby and for you for all the wonderful things you do for the kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jody,
    You have received an award from me. Come by Missy and KC's bloggie to get it.

    Poor baby kitty, think it may be time for another fundraiser!!!
    ML

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ML. Might need a fundraiser for this one. Leg might be broken or worse. Poor little kitty out like that in this freezing weather. I"ll know tomorrow and will let you all know what is going on with this kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that story made mommy beans eyes leak. You are such a wonderful bean to help all those poor kittys, there should be more of yous out there!

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...