Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Favorite Movies

There are Dick Flicks and there are Chick Flicks. I generally like a movie somewhere in between the extremes.

I suppose taking recommendations from an employee at a movie rental store means taking your chances. People like different sorts of movies. This clerk recommended Eastern Promises. I watched it and thought it extremely drab. I should have known I probably would not like it, because I had mentioned something about the one Bruce Willis movie I liked, but I couldn't remember its name. She had looked at me like I was nuts and said "All Bruce Willis movies are great." I beg to differ.

Bruce Willis movies are simple stuff. Here is the Willis movies formula. Bruce Willis=super tough super good guy. Throw in super bad guys. Throw in victims, usually children and women. And that's the premise of almost every Bruce Willis movie I've seen. Boooorrrriiiiinnnnng. You do not need a brain to watch a Bruce Willis movie. Usually, you need abnormal testosterone, if an adult, or, you need to be a developing teen boy.

I have not seen all his movies. I quit. But I saw one good one he made. I can't remember the name. He was a soldier, for some reason in Africa, reluctantly helping get out some hostages. I liked it.

I am trying to remember movies I have enjoyed. Here is a partial list, in no particular order:

Bulworth

Falling Down

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Dick

The Ghost and the Darkness

Gatica

Edward Scissorhands

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Chocolat

Ed Wood

Out of Africa

Never Cry Wolf

The Snow Walker

The Unforgiven

Million Dollar Baby

Schindler's List

Shawshank Redemption

Whale Rider

Sling Blade

Requeim for a Dream

Man from Snowy River

Thelma and Louise

Pleasantville

The War of the Roses

Blood Diamonds

Shining Through

Vacation

LA Confidential

Usual Suspects

The Black Stallion

Hard Candy

The King

Rabbit Proof Fence

Empire of the Sun

I will add to the list when my memory wakens.

1 comment:

  1. hiya - i loved whale rider - that kid is such a good actress! i STILL haven;t seen Shawshank Redemption, people keep tell me it is excellent though. that is a super list! happy christmas to you and your rescued babies x

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...