Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Nominations for Sainthood

I have sent a letter to the Pope, nominating several people for sainthood. I believe they are deserving.

L can cuss and swear like a trucker. She could drink both John McCain and Hilary Clinton under the table. She could arm wrestle that nasty Iranian leader and win, with the burkha clad Iranian women he wants forced into the dark ages, cheering to beat the band. L took care of her folks as a child. She is one hell of a hard worker and now, despite working a grueling schedule at a thankless blue collar pay job, she also traps, fixes, and rescues cats. Saint L! Deserving soul. Although she's not Catholic. Too bad. I'm not Catholic either. I nominated her anyhow.

Then there's D. Do is taking on the unbelievably difficult task, as a volunteer, of trying to change Lane County Animal Control. She wants them to work for the animals, not just do the least possible to get their paychecks. She wants the unfortunate dogs and cats who end up at LCARA by the score to be treated kindly, treated for what ails them, and get a chance to be adopted, not just killed immediately, and their dead bodies hauled off to a rendering plant to become the gel in tylenol gel caps, among other things, and ground up to become pet food.

She is constantly yelled at and berated, yet she continues to try to change things, with an optimistic spirit and a belief in the basic core goodness of even the people insulting her efforts, despite having a long commute to her pay job, which doesn't pay a lot, often caring for her grandchildren, and rescueing many animals in desperate situations.

She asked me once, "how is it that when there is a need in the community, for animals to be helped or fixed, it's low income volunteers who scrounge to come up with ways to do it, not the paid, and sometimes well paid, employees of the county, or even animal shelters with sometimes high paid directors and other well-salaried employees."

I don't know the answer to that question. I don't know. But, I am nominating D for sainthood.

There will be more nominations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Park

 I went to the park yesterday with my friend.  I was aching for human contact.  She goes every day and so I left my car at her place and rod...