Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ann's Crazy Idea. Fix 1000 Cats in One Week

My one volunteer has a crazy idea. I was instantly excited. Fix 1000 mid valley cats in one week's time. That would take a bite out of overpopulation!

She has located possibly enough money to fix about a quarter of the 1000. We'd need to raise money for the rest. We'd need lots of volunteers to round up cats. We'd need Dr. Peavy of the Neuterscooter, of course, since she can do 100 cats per day alone. And we'd need some comparable vets, like maybe Dr. R, if we could get her signed on.

If we decide to go forward on this wild and crazy idea, we might set our sights on the month of February, since spay day USA is in that month.

Such an event might open people's eyes who otherwise would never know about the extent of the overpopulation problem out there and how cats suffer so as a result.

Well so anyhow, this weekend, I'm going to try to nab that Siamese mom, down at the mill. She's the last unfixed cat down there I think. That is until more cat dumping occurs.

I have one more to nab at the Millersburg C&G colony. I've gotten 17 fixed there. One to go. Three more to nab at the Millersburg Country Colony. I think I got about 24 fixed there early in the summer, and removed, fixed and adopted out 14 kittens. Four or five kittens from that colony died, of chronic giardia infections.

The Hinck colony is finished. Seven cats caught. One died in surgery of congenital deformity. That colony caretaker had already fixed about 8 cats. These all came from a couple cats dumped along the road.

I have two or three more to catch at the stables.

I have many to catch at Sycamore Towers and I need to get on that.

There are five or six more to catch at the large Hate Thy Neighbor colony. That will put the total trapped and fixed on that street at close to 45.

There are three kittens, one teen, and one adult left to get fixed at the BS colony. The three kittens are slated for the Neuterscooter's clinic, with a sponsor who is paying for their fixes. The teen will be fixed next week and that one adult female, too, if I can catch her. This will put the total fixed there at over 90.

As for the Corvallis colony, I worry about that one. There were five kittens too young to be fixed still alive there, but they weren't caring for them well, so I don't know if any of those are still alive. And, after all the work of trapping twenty some adult and teenage cats and getting them fixed, the husband stated he wanted them all gone. So I worry about that, too. I need to call them.

My Canadian friend, who adopted Mickey, the one eyed boy, from Hate Thy Neighbor, sent me more photos of him this a.m., which makes me happy!


2 comments:

  1. that would be amazing! i totally would think the news would do a story too. it's not like there's much going on in february. and working with the neuterscooter that's too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea is fantastic! Way out of the box.

    ReplyDelete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...