Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sucky Wucky

Post title reflects accurately how things are going of late for me. Shady and Pixie are being returned because they too have ringworm caught from the kittens of the Albany mother cat with the injured eye. By the time all these kittens get over their fungal infections, they won't be kittens anymore and even harder to adopt out. Sucky wucky.

I took five kittens clear to Tigard yesterday to be fixed. The zero access to low cost spay neuter in the mid valley is abdominable, for me and for the mid valley cats. Sucky wucky.

I was unable to sleep the night before, due to the NW Corvallis male kitten, Thor, howling all night. I had planned fun activities during the day yesterday up there, while I waited for the kittens to be done. Instead of a hike, I ended up sprawled in the back of my car sleeping, in a parking lot.

At some point, the inavailability of affordable spay/neuter needs addressed. Know what I mean? If people can't get their cats fixed for under $100 or $200 bucks they won't get them fixed, let alone get the strays they feed or see fixed. There you have it. Big Problem! The essence of the problem.

Our state and vet regulatory board have let us down on this matter. Vets are operating private businesses. You can't blame them. They can price things as they see fit.

But, the vet regulatory board needs to change the administrative rule that states a vet clinic must be owned by a vet, so Oregonians can find an alternate way to solve a problem, say with nonprofits operating low or no cost clinics. Hey, they could still write the guidelines and monitor the programs so it would stay safe for the cats.

Like it's safe out there for hundreds of thousands of abandoned unfixed strays now anyhow. You know?

Let's get real and practical and make the overpopulation problem easy to solve not hard. And certainly it sucks that an Oregon rule is what makes this problem so difficult to tackle by people, volunteers no less, trying to tackle it.

SUCKY WUCKY!

I am still exhausted today. I didn't go to Eugene of course last night, after returning from Portland with the kittens, BECAUSE I WAS EXHAUSTED. I was going to maybe go get some of those Eugene cats, who need fixed, living behind the people's place who adopted Purrly. But I was far too worn out to move. I had tried to go to bed early, then got the call from the friend of Catherine Hahn, whomever that is, who told me she talks to Catherine routinely by calling my number. I know she had to be jerking me off on that, because IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Today I rounded up three cats this morning. None of them gave any sort of copay. All were in Corvallis, which made for a long morning, driving lal the way over there to pick them up from North Corvallis clear to south town. Then all the way to Countryside with them.

Then I tried to get cat food up in Salem quick, before racing home to a dental appointment. I've lost two fillings. I have to go back next week to get them re-filled. My place is a mess. There is a constant need to do dishes, sweep, mop, dust and clean traps and carriers. Plus I had over a dozen cat related e-mails and four more phone calls to respond to today, including the people wanting me to re-possess Shady and Pixie due to their ringworm. I ain't a happy camper today.

I found an internet site that suggested the quickest application to rid a cat or human of ringworm is Lamasol, because its antifungal kills the fungus while the others only stop its growth. Plus it is supposed to absorb deeper into the layers of skin, too. So I'll get some of that.

Anyhow, I can't wait to pick up the cats in Jefferson being fixed today, get them returned and get home and into bed. Tomorrow I pick up Shady and Pixie. The only kitten I have successfully adopted out of late is Purrly. I sure hope that works out. I am also quite panicked over the numbers here, and lack of serious adoptors. It's really a very bad feeling and it is more work, so much more work, everyday for someone about to drop dead already from exhaustion and the brutal leeching nature of humans.

And it gets even worse. The people who adopted Spidy and Micah want to return Micah stating "three cats is enough". They have two other cats. Well, why didn't they determine that before? I had other people interested in Micah and now they say he's not using the litterbox anymore. He was when they adopted him over a week ago. So, now I have a dysfunctional kitten to deal with, too, and I can't. I'm overloaded, stressed and worn out. Micah's fate, unfortunately, is going to be that he will be returned to where he came from. He'll be fed, at least there. One sister and one brother are still there. That's the way it is sometimes.

4 comments:

  1. sometimes i wonder whether law makers have brains...i really don't think they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have big issues that's for sure, lack common sense and practicality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have good news to share that only a cat lover would understand. I went to my local police dept., got a trap yesterday, and this morning I came home and had caught me a cat!!! I was so excited to catch him on my first attempt. My vet just called, he is FIV and Aids negative and already neutered. Thanks so much for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Meggie! I knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...