Monday, August 14, 2006

Taylor Gets His Home and The Others in the Wings


Taylor went to a home today. A man stopped by after seeing my road sign. Good luck, little guy. Taylor had taken to kneading and sucking on my face nights while purring his head off happy as a clam. Would have made an interesting video.

Taylor was the last of the Maxine Street cats to be placed. I had removed 8 kittens and four adults from that house on the corner, when the local animal control officer asked me to "assess" a feral cat situation. None of the cats were truely feral. I was put off by the officer's trickery. He knows I don't trap cats to haul them to Heartland to be euthanzied and yet that is exactly what he had in mind. He also persisted after I told him why I don't trap for the killing of cats for human convenience and that I felt tricked by him into involvement in this situation. I finally e-mailed the City Manager, described what happened and asked that whomever was in charge of this man, that this officer be told clearly not to contact me again about helping him solve cat issues by trapping them for killing.

That was over a month ago and I never heard anything back. Until yesterday.

I get an e-mail from a Corvallis police officer regarding "citizen complaint against ACO (animal control officer)". He gave me a number to call to talk to him, but the extension given with the number didn't work. So I e-mailed the officer back, told him it was not a complaint, but a request, that I don't want this animal control officer calling me. I told him "what's done is done and I don't regret saving those cats lives". I told him I can't save them all however, so as a volunteer, I limit my efforts to those I can save, otherwise I couldn't do this.

I told him I figured, but didn't know for sure, not being a mind reader, that this officer persisted, in phone messages, trying to get me to go back there and trap any remaining cats and take them to Heartland, after I told him I don't do that kind of trapping several times, because he might have felt that I have low enough self-esteem that he could, with pressure, get me to do something I felt was wrong.

And so far I haven't heard anything back again.

But all the cats of that day, that day that began with the ACO's call, the day I woke up exhausted because I was then involved heavily involved in rescueing the Boondoggle cats, are now in homes. The adults had to settle for a barn home. Better than being dead, that's for sure.

I have six kittens left for adoption. Mohavi--Slaughterhouse colony black tabby male; his sister Gobi--silver tabby female; and the gray tux manx Gogo, not yet big enough for neuter. I also have the three older Boondoggle kittens Hooch, brown tabby male, Tin Can Tizzy, abby tabby female, and Apache, black medium hair.

As for adults, I have the very funny two year old gray tux medium hair Gracie. And I have the young female Abysinnian mix Abbysue.

I'd love to adopt out Old Sal, but finding homes for really ancient cats can be difficult. I would still love to find Comet a home and I haven't given up because I'd pretty much given up on Calamity Jane and then suddenly, she gets a home.

So, basically, I have six kittens and four adults home ready and anxious for homes. I just have to hook them up with the right people. I know they're out there. I just must find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...