Thursday, August 17, 2006

Justice for Jon Benet and Her Parents

News of the arrest of a pedophile in the murder of Jon Benet felt like relief to me, mainly for the parents. I know her mother is dead. I cannot imagine the horror she went through, of not only losing her child, but of being accused of killing her, crucified in unfounded attacks and speculations. How could one live on?

I can't agree with the way she treated that child, pushing her into beauty pagents at such a tender age, like some little play doll she was living vicariously through. What possesses mothers to do such things? Jon Benet was a child, for gosh sakes.

But most families are dysfunctional, I think. I've not met a "normal" family.

The look of the man arrested is a look of a sick self-centered person, in my opinion.

I hope the Benet family gets heartfelt apologies from the news rags and people who crucified parents in mourning. There is nothing worse, in my opinion, than unfounded accusations against parents, when a child has died. It happens rather frequently. We should all think first how we might feel and wait for explicit founded evidence before forming opinions and voicing them publicly.

My heart goes out to the Benet family, out there somewhere. The mother is dead. Wherever she is out there, I wonder if she knows an arrest has been made.

Sometimes I wish I could comfort people, like that mother, whose child died so violently, whose life was ruined by rumor and gossip and cruelness. Death took her mercifully away from human cruelty. I say that, but she probably didn't want to die and death is rarely merciful. I say that only to appease my own feelings about it all.

Update: From all the reports, sounds like the guy arrested may just be a person claiming to be the murderer to seek attention to himself. The grinning circus scene parade of suspect in Thailand, where the government seems to condone child prostitution and sex tourism, was hard to watch. The agony of the Jon Benet saga continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thu...